Once in a while my husband and I will go out to lunch or dinner–we enjoy these meals mostly because we don’t have to cook them or clean up after them.
That is the purpose of restaurants, to have a meal that is stress free, to relax and enjoy or celebrate a special day.
With people’s busy schedules more and more people are eating out more often. Restaurants are full and busy and loud. And the job of being a server is getting harder and more demanding.
We have been very lucky to always have good servers. I don’t remember one that has not provided good courteous service–even when there is a problem at another table or food is backed up in the kitchen.
I was surprised, at lunch yesterday, when I asked for ice water with lemons and the server–who was a very nice young woman–apologized profusely because they were out of lemons. She asked if limes would do, and of course, I said yes. What difference is there anyway between limes and lemons?
The service was good and the food delicious. But our servers’ nervousness at the restaurant being out of lemons has stayed with me. I believe the lady was truly worried that I would be upset at the absence of lemons.
And that means that she has experienced customers being upset over unimportant things and taking their anger out on her.
I think it is a measure of a person by how they treat the servers at restaurants. Here are a few things to remember:
- Being a waiter or waitress is a hard job–they are dedicated and must be outgoing and cheerful when they don’t feel like it and when the people they are serving do not deserve it.
- They are at the mercy of the restaurant manager and the cooks in the kitchen and yet are loyal to the brand.
- They are on their feet walking back and forth bringing us the food and cleaning up after us because we did not want to stay home and do that for ourselves.
- They are paid very little and have to rely on the tips they receive from the restaurant patrons.
- Lastly, they have to deal with guests that are demanding, rude, sometimes inebriated and that apparently have issues with limes instead of lemons.
It is a good reminder that we all share this earth together and we should remember to be kind and respect those that help provide us a service, a hot meal and a smile.