Writing a bucket list gives a sense of reality to the long term goals we have for ourselves. A bucket list is, thought, much larger than just a list of goals to reach. A bucket list should include not just goals you want to achieve, but dreams that you want to see become reality and experiences you would like to have before you can’t have them anymore.
A bucket list can help you gain focus on those things that are really important to you–outside of our day to day run around tasks. We cannot get away from our daily responsibilities but we can certainly measure whether our daily activities are leading us to reach our ultimate desires.
I thought of this as I started contemplating what I would put on my bucket list. As I have mentioned before I am not a very adventurous person so on my list I would not put such experiences that include extreme sports. For me–my most prized desires–include time and space.
And as I was thinking of the items to put on my list, I was thinking about how to decide on which things to include and these are the steps that I took to help me make those choices.
- Think about things, experiences and dreams that you have had since childhood. It is in childhood that our true dreams and desires begin, before the responsibilities of adulthood take precedence in our lives.
- Follow your heart when it comes to things you truly want for you, not for what others expect of you, or would want for you. What matters is what you want.
- List things that are within your grasp as well as loftier goals that may be seemingly harder to achieve. Do not underestimate how many things you can actually achieve if you put your mind to it.
- Include everything that would make you happy regardless of how much money it may cost, time it may take to achieve, or resources you may need to acquire to reach them.
- Write these objective, dreams and experiences down on paper. Keep a copy of it where you can review it often. Add to it if you like! But keep your dreams and goals foremost on your mind to help you achieve them.
Once you make your bucket list–then the fun begins! Choose one of the goals on the list and start the plan on how you will reach that goal. Make plans, find a way and seek out the goal.
One of the fun things of having a bucket list is crossing them off as you accomplish them. And the joy you will receive from reaching them!
What kinds of things would you include on your bucket list? Drop a comment below…and let me know!
Happy Monday! Have fun!