One of my favorite things to do is travel. I credit this love to my parents, who ensured we had a vacation every year of our lives until and for several years after we had finished college.
We even took and continue to take vacations with the folks from time to time throughout our entire lives with now husbands and children in tow. Because each experience has been wonderful–it has invariably led to a love of travel.
I have a very strong desire to visit new places, discover new cultures, foods and ideas. Traveling offers an opportunity to break from the regular routine and explore different activities as well as enjoying the time for relaxing reading and hobbying.
While I have been lucky to visit many places and have a very very long list of places I would still like to explore–sometimes my favorite vacation in a staycation.
Staycations are wonderful because they can be easily planned, can last from hours to days, you don’t have to do any major packing and you also know you will be sleeping in your own bed.
What do you do on a staycation? Well anything you want, of course! But here are a few ideas:
- Visit a state or national park close to home.
- Look for historical points of interest in your area.
- Find water features–and water sports–to enjoy near you such as tubing down a river, rafting, fishing, or enjoying the lake or the beach.
- Enjoy local museums of interest that are a reasonable driving distance from your house.
- Attend local cultural performances such as plays, concerts, and symphonies.
- Find a spot at a holiday or special celebration parade in your city.
- Support your local sports team by going to a game.
- Visit a veteran’s cemetery and honor our heroes.
- Seek out amusement parks or extreme sports activities that you are eager to try.
- Participate in health walks or marathons.
Sometimes we are not aware of all the wonderful places to visit and things to do that are in our own backyard. Planning a staycation can be fun and fulfilling, it can provide you with a good break from your regular routine and it can open you up to new experiences!
Enjoy all your travels, near or far!