I have only been 50 for a couple of months–but so far things are pretty good. Here is a compilation of 50 things I love about being 50:
- I can now say I have known certain people for over 30 (or 40) years–because I have!
- I am no longer shy about meeting new people.
- I see things differently than I did 5 and 10 years ago–or even last year.
- It is acceptable to not know where your car keys are.
- People tell me I don’t look 50!
- I have the time to take better care of myself.
- I have found a new appreciation for sunrises.
- I don’t have to make excuses anymore about why I go to sleep by 8pm.
- I am old enough not to want to over do any work out session.
- I am young enough to still stretch myself and reach higher goals in my workouts.
- I cook less–because I am watching what I eat.
- I love this new world filled with technology.
- I love that I can call one of my kids to explain the technology to me.
- No one worries that I am driving too slow anymore.
- It is okay to be lost–even with GPS.
- No one cares that I don’t drink anymore.
- I enjoy talking to my dogs and am sure they understand what I am saying.
- No one expects me to wear high heels.
- Less makeup is more.
- With Netflix–I no longer need cable.
- The 40’s were so last year!
- I am closer to retirement.
- I don’t mind if I am late to places and events.
- The music from my youth is still the best music.
- My gray hairs grow in a streak across my head.
- But I am still young enough to want to color them!
- I can do something ridiculous and call it a “mid-life crisis”.
- At this age I know money doesn’t buy happiness.
- I no longer sweat the small stuff.
- I know God is always with me–and He has a sense of humor.
- I love that I can name all four of the Beatles.
- I realize time is limited and precious.
- The empty nest is not as scary and sad as I thought it would be.
- I’ve lived long enough to see the world change in amazing ways!
- I’m not afraid of the dark, lightning or the boogie man anymore.
- Happiness doesn’t seem so hard to reach.
- I feel strongly about my opinions.
- I know my opinions don’t matter to everyone.
- Things seem funnier to me now.
- I don’t care what others opinions of ME are.
- I get discounts at some restaurants!
- It is easier to forgive others.
- It is easier to forgive myself.
- I love that I don’t know everything.
- I love that I know more than I thought I did.
- I love that I still have years to learn more.
- There is no guilt in falling asleep in front of the TV.
- If the dishes don’t get washed tonight, they’ll get washed tomorrow.
- I enjoy eating well and exercising–even through others criticisms.
- Other people’s criticisms don’t matter anymore.
Turning 50 happened much quicker than I expected it to…but I am enjoying it and looking forward to the next 50!
The biggest lesson I have learned in the first 5 decades of my life?
Those people that matter don’t mind if you are yourself, and the people who mind you are yourself, don’t matter!
Enjoy your years–we don’t know how many we will be given. No matter what age you are embrace the life in your years!
Comment below and share your thoughts on getting older.